Thursday, December 23, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside...

Oh the world wide web... You can find pretty much anything you want to know... or don't want to know for that matter by just the click of a button. Sometimes, help can be found. Other times, not so much. Recently, I've had a conversation with someone very close to my heart about happiness (in a round about way). What things make you happy? Do you ever just see something wonderful and get the breath knocked out of you? When you are using the gifts and talents that God has given you, does it give you this overwhelming feeling of joy? I realized during this conversation that I have become so focused on the here and now daily routine that I forget to focus on me. What things do I love to do that I have neglected? For instance, I've played piano ever since I can remember, and since I've been in college, I haven't played but maybe a handful of times... Also, I guess since I've "grown up" I forgot that I can find new adventures as well... Who knew? I can have new hobbies?!? What? It's true. So I googled "hobbies" (does googling count as a hobby? because I do it quite a bit) and found this website. I laughed. These are some of the possibilities of new hobbies headed my way...

Hot air ballooning, cloud watching, motorcycle riding, throwing boomerangs, shark fishing, smoking pipes, yo-yo, gadget collecting... etc.

Wow. I can handle cloud watching and possibly throwing around a couple of boomerangs, but all in all, this was not as helpful as I had hoped. So, I'm going to have to think of things that I would like to do? Kill me. This is what I came up with... for real.

Cooking... I need to learn sometime. And I'd like to be able to whip up some mean dishes.

Hiking. A couple of my friends and I are going to try and drive to Colorado this spring and hike a 14 mile. We want to make a weekend trip out of it. Should be interesting... hiking isn't normally something on my list of "I need adventure in my life" things to do... but then I thought to myself, "Why have I never thought of this before?"

Ah yes, this one reappears time after time... Running. I should really start... Who doesn't need to be in shape? Especially if they're planning on hiking 14 miles up a mountain!

Studying... You would think that wanting to go to medical school and make a difference in the world would make me eager to study. Not so much. I hate the library with a passion. And we have a nice one! This semester, I'm going to try and become friends with the library. Wish me luck!

Getting my guitar out more often. I still play quite a bit when the roomies aren't home... But I'd like it to be something I can pick up and really just go to work on those beautiful acoustic harmonies. **Thank you Mary Roy for this beautiful picture**

So, that is my list for now... there are, of course, many more to come... But this post is already super duper long! Next time, next time.

-Much Love-
Bethany

p.s. Please go listen to Jack Johnson's beautiful version of Rudolph the Red-nose Reindeer. It will melt your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment